Aging in Place is often the most economical and desirable living arrangement for many senior citizens. It is emotionally soothing to be surrounded in the environment that a senior knows and loves. Often times, keepsakes, photos, and memories have been built up over a lifetime. But without proper preparation, the home, and specifically the bathroom, can be incredibly dangerous without home adaptations for senior citizens safety.
Consider these facts:
- 6 out of every 10 falls happens at home
- 1 out of 3 adults over 65 will get injured in fall
- Falls are the leading cause of nonfatal and fatal injuries in elderly adults
- The bathroom and shower are the #1 location in a home where injuries happen
- According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) every year over 235,000 people visit the emergency room (ER) due to injuries suffered in the bathroom and shower
- For individuals over 85 over 50% of bathroom injuries occur around the toilet.
- 81% of all bathroom and shower injuries occur due to slips and falls.
The bathroom is one of the most important rooms in the house to start with for yourself, or your Aging in Place parents. Bathrooms are one of the places where you are presented with hard surfaces that become slippery when wet. Both showers, and toilets are one of the most prominent danger points in a senior citizens house.
In addition to purchasing shower and bathroom safety equipment from a reputable supplier such as Design By Intent there are many simple things you can do to make the bathroom environment safer.
- Put non-slip pads or strips on the bathtub or shower floor.
- Remove bathmats or area rugs that could cause trips and falls.
- Install grab bars and/or safety rails in the bath or shower and near the toilet. Safety bars should be long and wide enough to grasp easily, be covered in a non-slippery grip, and be well-anchored enough to hold an adult’s weight.
- Get a toilet safety frame or raised seat to add stability while using the toilet.
- Buy a shower stool, seat, or transfer bench with arms. Arms greatly increase safety, while reducing the ergonomic strain when transitioning from sitting to standing.
- Make sure toiletries and supplies are within easy reach.
- Set the water heater to 120 degrees or lower to prevent scalding.
- Add nightlights or motion sensor lighting to the bathroom to ensure it’s well lit even at night. Also add motion sensor lights along the path from the bed to the bathroom.
Design By Intent provides a full line of shower and bathroom safety products and shower seats for both the bathroom and the shower to promote Aging In Place. Our mission is to provide beautiful, and elegant shower seats, grab bars, and hinged bars, while promoting safety and functionality.